Diabetes General Information
Diabetes is a disorder that affects the body’s metabolism, and causes problems with the way the body digests food for growth and energy. When affected by Diabetes, the pancreas produces little to no insulin, or the cells of the body do not respond to the insulin that is produced. As a result of these conditions, glucose cannot enter the body’s cells.
Understanding your condition is the first step on the road to success with treatment.
There are three types of Diabetes:
Type 1 Diabetes is characterized by a higher level of glucose in the blood than normal. The glucose cannot travel into the body’s cells like normal, because of a lack of insulin. Insulin is a natural hormone that helps move glucose from your blood to your cells. When there is a problem making or using the insulin in the body, the glucose will build up in the blood and not be turned into energy.
Type 2 Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by high blood glucose in the context of insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency. This is in contrast to Diabetes Mellitus Type 1, in which there is an absolute insulin deficiency, due to destruction of islet cells in the pancreas. The classic symptoms are excessive thirst, frequent urination, and constant hunger. Type 2 Diabetes makes up about 90% of cases of Diabetes, with the other 10% primarily due to Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 and Gestational Diabetes. Obesity is thought to be the primary cause of Type 2 Diabetes in people who are genetically predisposed to the disease.
Gestational Diabetes is a condition where women, without previously diagnosed Diabetes, exhibit high blood glucose levels during pregnancy — especially during their third trimester. There is some question whether the condition is natural during pregnancy. Gestational Diabetes is caused when the insulin receptors do not function properly. This is likely due to pregnancy related factors, such as the presence of human placental lactogen that interferes with susceptible insulin receptors. This in turn causes inappropriately elevated blood sugar levels.
10 Ways to help prevent Diabetes complications
Diabetes tracking systems make it easier for you to take control of your diabetes and your blood sugar so you can see your progress over time. Learn diabetes tracking tips here to help successfully manage your diabetes.
Using a food journal can help you keep track of portions, calories, and carbs. But more importantly, it can help you keep track of exercise, your moods, and your blood glucose. Here’s how to use a food journal to capture — and change — the way you think about eating on a diabetic diet.